Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Week 4/5

I haven't updated in forever so I'll make it super short.

The rest of week 4 went pretty well. The weather was nice so we got to dress the kids in swim suits and take them outside to run in the sprinklers and swim in the kiddie pools. I've never seen kids so excited.. They thought it was the coolest thing ever.

Allie's last day was Friday :(. We went to the Red Cross Hospital in the morning to visit one of her favorite patients who had plastic surgery on her face last week for her burns. The two of them have become buds over the last twelve weeks and both were in tears by the end of our visit. Later at Sarah Fox we had a going away party with ice cream and more swimming/sprinklers. I'm not sure what we'll do without Allie there.

For the first time we had all of our afternoons free last week. I took some surfing lessons (amazing) and relaxed at the beach. Friday Bailey picked me up right after placement for my weekend away. We went to the Taste of Cape Town Friday night. I caught some kind of stomach bug and was really sick Saturday and Sunday. We did manage to make it to a new beach and some cool new sites in Cape Town on Sunday, but I was sick again Sunday night. On Monday Bailey took me to Charly's Bakery for my birthday (famous in South Africa.. they've even made cakes for Oprah!). ..My cupcakes are still sitting in the box because they were too pretty to eat. We went to a movie and shopping for the rest of the day. Some of the volunteers met us for dinner at a nice sushi restaurant. The weekend was amazing minus the sick part.. Whitney and I are going to try to celebrate our joint birthdays next weekend at the Ethiopian restaurant when we are both feeling up to it.

Placement today was tough. I was the only volunteer in the hospital again and one of the nine-year-old boys was really hard to handle.. I'm starting to really miss the days when it was just me with the toddlers.. I'm really having to work hard at patience.

After placement we went to the beach.

3 comments:

  1. I think there is a bug in the post-a-comment component on my end - it keeps saying the comment was posted by the Blog Administrator. Happy Birthday! Happy Birthday! Happy Birthday! I think you are great and love you very much! Keep a good attitude! Remember: If no one is looking on the bright side, somebody isn't thinking! We'll have a birthday party when you return! Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday, Maggie - Enjoy those cupcakes! We think of you and the children every day. Love, Grandpa and Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy belated b-day Maggie!! Sounds like you are having a wonderful time. I'm glad you are okay after surfing...I just learned about this rare condition that first time surfers become paralized! EEk! Hope all is well! -Hil

    ReplyDelete