Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Week 3 and Table Mountain

Monday 3/23- Another hard day at Sarah Fox. All of the kids were extra rowdy from being cooped up all weekend long.

Nothing really happened out of the ordinary today, except that one of the really shy little boys actually broke out of his shell. :) Usually he stands in the corner and won’t say a word the entire day, but today he read books, played with the other kids, and smiled all day long.

Since Jessica left, I am permanently the only one in the toddlers’ room. It’s a little frustrating not having help on days like today because there are now 4 volunteers in the older kids’ room, and the older kids usually require less attention than the toddlers do.

After placement, five other volunteers and I decided to climb Table Mountain. It was much harder than I expected, and there were times when I wanted to cry because we were climbing so fast, my legs were stinging, and everyone was so far ahead of me. The view at the top though was worth every minute of the climb, and I would do it a thousand times over again. We rewarded ourselves with a glass of wine at the little restaurant on the top of the mountain and then rode the cable car back to the bottom. We ate dinner at a Mexican restaurant in Mowbray called Fat Cactus. I think now Table Mountain is my favorite thing I’ve done in Cape Town.

3 comments:

  1. These photos are absolutely beautiful! What a breathtaking view. And a huge accomplishment to climb it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Those pictures are amazing! I'm sure it's 100 times more spectacular in real life.

    It sounds like you are climbing mountains every day taking care of the little children. Keep on trucking! The view is gorgeous from the top, even if the trail is tough! Hugs.

    ReplyDelete